Notifications
Clear all

Ten Things We Learned From Ohio State's 34-10 Win Over Michigan State  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 6, 2019 10:46 pm  

Ohio State played host to Michigan State on Saturday night. They invited the Spartans over for a nice night of football, but what transpired was a blood-letting lesson in the way of the world. The Buckeyes bullied Michigan State. They didn't do it all four quarters because that would have just been cruel. They only…

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Tom Orr

Jnuey
 Jnuey
(@Jnuey)
October 6, 2019 10:51 pm  

Baron Browning should never leave the field. Shot out of a cannon on that sack

ReplyQuote
Ed
 Ed
(@Ed)
October 7, 2019 5:56 am  

Browning has been burned as many times as he has made plays. As all the LB’s have been. Toughest position to play in college. The middle of the field is the toughest to defend for all the teams, and they all give up points because of it. The spread is a MLB nightmare, forcing him to play sideline to sideline, My point is Tuf Borland isn’t the only LB on this team making mistakes.Harrison hasn’t been consistent,Browning is flashing but still has trouble getting off blocks.Imo none of them have separated themselves, they are all around the same.

ReplyQuote
Tim McGee
 Tim McGee
(@Tim McGee)
October 7, 2019 7:24 am  

I agree Jnuey. Harrison is playing good.

ReplyQuote
Wee
 Wee
(@Wee)
October 7, 2019 7:54 am  

Maybe Fuller is asked to cover too much space, but he is often a step or two late. MSU was able to complete way too many passes that could have been broken up by him. Luckily he is making the tackles afterwards, but I would like to see him stick his hand in there and swipe it.
I also noticed the defense did not swarm towards the ball carrier all together like other games. There were a couple of plays where the first defender makes the tackle but he still needs help to complete the stop and it seemed like eternity before others came to finish it. Tired maybe?I
I was also surprised to see them run the ball on us.

ReplyQuote

Tom Hadly
 Tom Hadly
(@Tom Hadly)
October 7, 2019 8:12 am  

#1 receivers don’t drop perfectly thrown balls when wide open. Binny is still the hot/cold receiver he’s always been. When hot he looks like an All American and when cold he looks like a middle schooler. Both were displayed against Sparty.

ReplyQuote
D
 D
(@D)
October 7, 2019 8:29 am  

No. I’ve never seen a middle schooler like Victor.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 7, 2019 9:15 am  

Tom Hadly -- Every receiver has dropped a perfectly thrown ball.

ReplyQuote
Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
October 7, 2019 10:05 am  

Its important that we OSU fans don't get too spoiled. MSU punched us in the face and this was really a grow up game. If we expected a first year QB, head coach and 3-4, new OL to come in as well as others and compete as veteran stars, we're kidding ourselves. I was surprised to see MSU moving the ball on us, however, they basically only went on four drives, and one being the 2nd half. But then again Dantonio emptied his play book. There are things on both sides of the ball that need some tinkering and adjustments, but we need to remember, we caused 3 MSU TO's, ran the ball for over 310+ yard and gained over 500 yards of O during three quarters. MSU got punched in the face in the 2nd quarter, as the game was mostly put on ice, and we really didn't need to pour it on as our ground game humiliated their esteemed run D.

ReplyQuote
Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 7, 2019 11:17 am  

a game of stark contrasts, and intermittent sustainability? A game of great plays... and surprising and bad 'mistakes'.

1st Q the MSU front 7 were consistently beating our OL to the gaps and straight up like they were snapping the ball, not our O. Fortunately, MSU was gaffing as much as we were. But the 'lesson learned' is not who was 'fortunate', but how MSU punched both our lines, especially our O line... and how to defeat gap attacks.

Victor didn't look 'happy' after teammates & coaches chatted with him on the sidelines after his TD 'catch'. Agree: 'fortune smiles on you'... is not a game plan or prep or execution.

MSU's TEs [& associated 'rubbers', er 'blockers'] abused our S's and LBs... this is one of our weakest areas and now coaches have a couple weeks to 'tweak' both skills and recognition/execution.

Fields appears most vulnerable when retreating straight back in the pocket... and it's tough for him to escape laterally from the middle. Either release a short one or throw it away earlier?

Those early in the game straight handoffs up the middle vs a 7 or 8 man front 7 consistently AIN'T MAKIN' IT. Solution: plays with options for wide or deep or misdirection; simply threaten 'more' of the field to spread out the risks for their D.

Overall, nice 2Q response to sleepy & stumbling Q1. But... 'let' MSU hang around for entire 3Q & then some. IIRC the coaches' term FINISH is the appropriate fundamental emphasis here,

...that was a beautiful pic 6 on a team effort! Amazing that one striped shirt was reffing touch football from the prison of his own mind. But... not surprising in ...CD RALAC.... ;-{)}

Enjoying the board comments - rather more 'meat' than usual... so far. ...IMO.
;-{)}

GO BUCKS!

ReplyQuote
Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 7, 2019 11:23 am  

Kurt, IMO precisely stated: "don't get too spoiled".
Both acknowledges we are 'already spoiled' from the beginning and onward...

But...
Have not yet suffered the consequences of our unearned pleasures.

Agree that asking a fanatic to exercise a modicum of self-control is a...
'really big' 'ask'.... ;-{)}

ReplyQuote
RONALD G FISHMAN
 RONALD G FISHMAN
(@RONALD G FISHMAN)
October 7, 2019 12:15 pm  

Shout out to "Buck 68" for getting back on his "meds."

More importantly, a shout out to Thayer Munford playing in pain.
Starting to worry a bit about pass pro. MSU certainly provided some schemes for PSU to emulate.

ReplyQuote
Robert Gustin
 Robert Gustin
(@Robert Gustin)
October 7, 2019 12:58 pm  

"I was also surprised to see them run the ball on us."

They ran the ball 27 times for 67 yards.

ReplyQuote
Hank
 Hank
(@Hank)
October 7, 2019 7:45 pm  

Tom I agree 100%.He is not a #1receiver

ReplyQuote