Forum

Morning Conversatio...

Share:

Morning Conversational: What Tweaks Will Mike Yurcich Make to the OSU Offense?  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
May 15, 2019 11:13 am  

When Ryan Day was named Ohio State's head coach, he had to go out and find his replacement as one of the Buckeyes' offensive coordinators and the quarterback coach. He didn't have to look too hard to find Mike Yurcich at Oklahoma State. Yurcich is one of the most respected offensive coaches in the nation and has been able to produce...

This topic was modified 5 days ago by Tony Gerdeman
This topic was modified 4 days ago by Tony Gerdeman

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
May 15, 2019 12:12 pm  

Coach Yurcich will allow the TE's to be receivers more than a couple times a game, and actually utilize their size and skills!

Okay, okay........that was a joke!

ReplyQuote
James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
May 15, 2019 12:27 pm  

Seriously though. He's a guy who spends more time studying defense than he does teaching offense. While defenses in the Big 12 lacked a certain level of proficiency, there are a missing finger handful of programs that do play defense. He learned how to attack the better defenses. The Big 10 defenses are different, but, Mike will take his time analyzing each one. It'll take time to get a handle on just what each program likes to do and what their tendencies are in the way of adjustments, but, by year 2 he'll have them pretty well sorted out and have his offensive play calling ready to exploit most scenario's.

The good news is that Mike won't be required to call plays on Saturday's for games this fall. That will be all Coach Day. I'd expect to see that change in 2020 with Mike being even more involved in game planning and game day play selections.

So what does he bring that's a huge positive? The ability to breakdown defensive schemes and their adjustments on a per program basis. His biggest task will be getting the offensive leaders on the same page seeing what he's seeing so that they can make the proper adjustments in real time on Saturdays.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
May 15, 2019 4:40 pm  

I expect some more downfield stuff as well this year. I'm looking forward to seeing his imprint on the offense.

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

ReplyQuote
WillyB
 WillyB
(@WillyB)
May 15, 2019 9:54 pm  

RUN THE BALL!

ReplyQuote

James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
May 15, 2019 11:23 pm  

That's a very real possibility. I think the frequency of those shots will depend on 2 factors. Offensive line consistency and a big up tick in the Buckeye running game. We already know that the underneath routes are going to be exploited no matter who the opponent is. The H position is probably the envy of just about every program in the country. That leaves the key to the deep threat riding on consistency in the mid range game by way of the TE's.

This years offense "may" not put up the same passing stats as last year, but I anticipate a more explosive and dominating offense none the less.

I have a feeling this is also going to be one of the best OLines the Buckeyes have had in a really long time.

ReplyQuote