Forum

Water Cooler: It's ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Water Cooler: It's Third and 11 Late Vs. Michigan, Who's Your QB and WR?  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
March 18, 2020 2:46 pm  

With the shortage in national pastimes happening right now, we thought we'd turn to one of our other national pastimes -- standing around the water cooler and arguing about sports. So Tom Orr and myself have begun a series where we take interesting and somewhat random sports topics and lay out our thoughts on them, just as you have done and will do again...

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Tony Gerdeman

Jim Davidson
(@bucknik)
March 18, 2020 2:58 pm  

I'm gonna have to go with Tom on this one. Haskins to Thomas is a dream scenario. Tony got a little wishy-washy at the end there.

Tony, have you taken your temperature lately?

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@Mike)
March 18, 2020 3:18 pm  

Before I read Tom or Tony's takes, my initial thought was Joe Burrow to Chris Carter. However, I may have to change that. Carter is an excellent choice, but so is Michael Thomas.

As for the QB, Tony make a compelling case. Troy Smith was a known Wolverine killer.

I just don't think there is any right answer on this one. About any of the QB's mentioned, short of Bauserman, would be fine with me. As for receivers, Carter and Thomas are at the top of my list. I just don't think you could do better than either of those.

ReplyQuote
Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
March 18, 2020 3:30 pm  

Which OSU team do the dream QB and WR play for? That will need to come into play. I'm going to change gears a bit. This past year, OSU had one of the most dominant teams and best balanced O's in OSU history, and one that I would compare to the 2015, 1998 and 1969 Buckeye Teams. So I will say that OSU team with Fields as QB to Olave or Wilson. (As D's will will have other O weapons to fill their hands) Sadly, we saw how that worked out in the BCS semi final. Back to the question, I would take Joe Burrows (2018 to 2019 season) to Chris Carter.

ReplyQuote
Warren
 Warren
(@Warren)
March 18, 2020 4:07 pm  

3rd and 11 with 1:45 left is clearly 4 down territory. Therefore I'm going with Justin and Michael Thomas. I already feel supremely confident that that incredible duo is going to get that first down. But if somehow the ball is spotted short of the marker (due to poor/biased/bought) officiating, I have confidence that on 4th and short that Justin is going to pick up that 4th down.

ReplyQuote

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
March 18, 2020 4:22 pm  

The hallucinations tell me I'm fine.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
March 18, 2020 6:10 pm  

All the answers given are fine, but just for fun I'm going another way: Braxton Miller and Michael Thomas. Since the scenario is clearly 4-down territory, Braxton is perhaps the most difficult QB to defend for TWO plays, given he was such an explosive runner and a pretty good passer.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Perry
 Christopher Perry
(@Christopher Perry)
March 18, 2020 7:17 pm  

Krenzel & Jenkins works fine for me. They converted MANY crucial 3rd and 4th downs...the most memorable ones in my lifetime.

ReplyQuote
S Andrew Alexander
 S Andrew Alexander
(@S Andrew Alexander)
March 18, 2020 7:42 pm  

Krenzel to Jenkins did it (though against Purdue). Smith to Gonzalez did it and I disagree that Miller was harder to defend for 2 downs than Smith or even J.T. (4th and 1, anyone?)
I'm going to go against the grain here and have Chic Harley as my QB (yes, he passed as well as ran and did a whole lot else for the Buckeyes as well) and a guy who only played a little receiver for the Buckeyes, but whose NFL career average was 20.1 yards per catch is still the most among NFL receivers with at least 300 catches - Paul Warfield.
I love most of the choices of both staff and posters here, but the Buckeyes have had greats for a long time and not all of them were carrying the rock - at least not ALL the time! 😉

ReplyQuote
Matt G
 Matt G
(@Matt G)
March 18, 2020 9:38 pm  

Gerd, that is scary... I also originally thought Troy Smith to David Boston and then switched it to Smith to Carter. With Henton to Cacchio a VERY close second, of course...

ReplyQuote
BS
 BS
(@BS)
March 19, 2020 12:10 am  

Joe burrow

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
March 19, 2020 12:16 am  

Great minds.

ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@Dave)
March 19, 2020 8:35 am  

Love the Henton reference!

ReplyQuote
Jack Frysinger, Naples, Fl
 Jack Frysinger, Naples, Fl
(@Jack Frysinger, Naples, Fl)
March 19, 2020 12:28 pm  

Joe Germaine deep down the middle to Dimitrious Stanley. Germaine was one of the calmest QB’s to play for the Buckeyes. Stanley was sure handed with excellent hands.

ReplyQuote
jbuckeye001
 jbuckeye001
(@jbuckeye001)
March 19, 2020 12:44 pm  

Even Spencer to Even Spencer.... He could also block on the play 🙂

ReplyQuote

S Andrew Alexander
 S Andrew Alexander
(@S Andrew Alexander)
March 19, 2020 2:28 pm  

😀 That's awesome!

ReplyQuote
Michael Jennings
 Michael Jennings
(@Michael Jennings)
March 20, 2020 1:29 pm  

I’m going to go with 2014-2015 JT Barrett to Mike Thomas. Most people on this board had a few years to sour on JT, but I distinctly remember him getting EVERY 3rd/4th down conversion that national championship season. And then there’s #cantguardmike? Nuff sed.

ReplyQuote
Ole Buckeye
 Ole Buckeye
(@Ole Buckeye)
March 21, 2020 9:13 am  

I’d go with the sweet alto sax of Kenny Guiton and for a receiver either Heurman (sp?) or Jalin Marshall. I know Heurmann is a TE but made some great clutch catches and what a great target. In the clutch, Guiton always performed!

ReplyQuote