From an Ohio State press release.
OHIO STATE DROPS 4-3 HEARTBREAKER TO UNCW TO END 2018 SEASON
RELATED INFO: 2018 Schedule | 2018 Roster | Baseball Homepage | Big Ten Baseball | Greenville Regional Tournament Central | NCAA Baseball | Box Score | PDF: Box Score | Season Stats | Photo Gallery | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
|Ohio State (36-24)||0||1||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||3||5||1|
|RF Canzone, Dominic||3||0||0||1||2||0|
|2B Foppe, Kobie||6||0||1||0||0||1|
|LF Cowles, Tyler||5||0||0||0||1||2|
|3B McGowan, Noah||6||0||2||0||0||2|
|DH Pohl, Conner||6||0||0||0||0||1|
|CF Dingler, Dillon||4||2||0||0||2||1|
|C Barnwell, Jacob||4||1||1||1||2||1|
|1B Coolen, Bo||4||0||0||0||0||3|
|SS West, Noah||3||0||1||1||2||0|
|SS Jones, Greg||6||0||1||0||1||2|
|C Jeffers, Ryan||6||1||3||1||1||1|
|1B Berne, Mason||6||0||3||1||0||0|
|PH Liles, Noah||1||0||1||0||0||0|
|RF Brown, Kep||7||1||4||1||0||1|
|3B Weiss, Cole||5||0||2||0||0||0|
|DH Sheaffer, David||5||0||2||1||0||0|
|PH Canada, Zack||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|LF Meadows, Jackson||6||0||2||0||0||3|
|2B Angeli, Doug||4||0||1||0||2||0|
|CF Bridges, Noah||4||2||0||0||2||1|
GREENVILLE, N.C. – The No. 3 seed Ohio State baseball team lost in a 4-3 heartbreaker in 13 innings against No. 4 seed UNC-Wilmington in an elimination game in the Greenville Regional Saturday afternoon at Clark-LeClair Stadium. The Buckeyes conclude the 2018 season with 36-24 overall record.
“My guys’ season comes to an end today,” head coach Greg Beals said. “That hurts, but it’s a group that I’m very proud of. Our seniors and juniors have been to two of the last three national tournaments. This group of guys will be forever known as a team that represented our great university in a national tournament. Tough fought ballgame today. A lot of credit to UNC Wilmington. They gave tough at bats and a bunch of hits out there. Unfortunately one team had to lose today.”
- It was a wild game that lasted four hours and 11 minutes and included a one hour and 39 minute weather delay. The Buckeyes and Seahawks traded runs in the second and in the fourth. The teams wouldn’t score again until each offense tallied a run in the 11th. The Ohio State outfield threw out two go-ahead runs at the plate in the seventh and 11th innings. UNCW claimed the win on a walk-off single by Kep Brown in the bottom of the 13th vs. Ohio State reliever Kyle Michalik.
- Ohio State took the early lead vs. the Seahawks with a run in the top of the second. Dominic Canzone hit a RBI ground out with the bases loaded to push Dillon Dingler
- The Seahawks tied the game with a run in the bottom of the second on a RBI single by David Sheaffer. Ohio State starting pitcher Ryan Feltnerlimited the damage when he left the bases loaded with a ground out.
- The Buckeyes regained the lead in the top of the fourth on a solo home run by Jacob Barnwell. He sent a laser into The Jungle over the left field wall on the first pitch he saw vs. right-handed reliever Austin Warren.
- UNCW answered right back with a run in the bottom of the fourth on a two-out RBI single by Ryan Jeffers.
- Feltner limited the Seahawks to two runs on seven hits with three walks and four strikeouts in six innings of work in a no decision. Right-handed reliever Austin Woodby started the bottom of the seventh. After UNCW notched back-to-back singles, Tyler Cowles threw a cannon from left field to home plate to record the second out of the inning and keep the eventual go-ahead run from scoring. Jacob Barnwell applied the tag right before Mason Berne touched home plate on the feet-first slide. Woodby then induced a ground out to end inning and leave two on base.
- Woodby forced extra innings after throwing three scoreless innings, scattering five hits with two strikeouts and one walk.
- Right-handed reliever Seth Kinker came in the 10th inning. He left two on base after inducing a ground out to Kobie Foppe at second base to take the game into the 11th.
- With two on and two down in the top of the 11th, West sent the first pitch vs. right-handed reliever Clark Cota through the left side to score Dingler for the go-ahead run.
- However, the Seahawks managed to tie the game in the bottom of the 11th against Kinker with one run on three hits. A RBI single up the middle by Mason Berne tied the game at 3-all.
- Dillon Dingler kept the game alive in the following at-bat when he threw out the potential game-winning run on a single to centerfield with a laser to Barnwell, who applied the tag and got the foot of Levi Gesell.
- Lightning in the area with one out in the bottom of the 12th forced a 1 hour and 39 minute delay.
- Right-handed reliever Yianni Pavlopoulos was the new Buckeye pitcher after play resumed and retired the first two batters to send the game into the 13th inning. After the Buckeyes couldn’t find a run in the top, UNCW posted the final run on two hits. Pavlopoulos received the loss to move to 1-4 in 2018.
- Ohio State moves to 43-43 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- Today was the third meeting of the season between the Buckeyes and Seahawks.
- Barnwell hit his second home run of the year and first since March 31.
- Foppe extended his reached base streak to 16 games.
- Cowles recorded his team-best eighth outfield assist.
- McGowan recorded his team-best 29th multi-hit game of the year.
- Kinker made his 109th career appearance today and is the school record holder for career appearances.
- Michalik made his 94th career appearance today, which is fourth-most all-time in school history.