Football Recruiting

Nation’s Top Receiver Julian Fleming Back on OSU Campus This Weekend

Julian Fleming Ohio State Recruiting Buckeyes

For at least the fourth time in the past year, Julian Fleming will be taking a visit to Ohio State. Fleming will be on the OSU campus this weekend for what is shaping up to be a very big recruiting weekend for Ohio State. The visit will also coincide with OSU’s Student Appreciation Day, which features an open practice for the students.

Fleming (6-3 210) is the nation’s No. 1 wide receiver and the No. 5 player overall in the 2020 class per the 247Sports Composite. He last visited the Buckeyes twice in November, which included a nice seat for Ohio State’s 62-39 win over Michigan.

Penn State is seen as the favorite to land Fleming, who plays at Southern Columbia High School in Catawissa, Pennsylvania. He also holds offers from Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and everybody else you would expect. Fleming has visited Penn State more than any other school, which also lends itself to people viewing the Nittany Lions as the favorite.

PSU currently holds 75% of the 12 Crystal Ball projections, with the Buckeyes holding the other 25%.

As a junior, Fleming caught 78 passes for 1,524 yards and 22 touchdowns. As a sophomore, he caught 69 passes for 1,462 yards and 20 touchdowns. Even as a freshman he was productive, catching 36 passes for 956 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Last July, Fleming tweeted out a top six of Virginia Tech, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, and Clemson.

Then on Christmas Day, he tweeted out his latest cut down, but the numbers actually increased. This time Fleming released a top 10, and joining Ohio State were Alabama, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Michigan, Southern California, Clemson, LSU, Florida, and Penn State.

Last month, he released what is expected to be his final top six.

As a player, Julian Fleming is a strong receiver who is explosive after the catch. You can also see his explosion in his basketball highlights below. At 6-foot-3, he can dunk the ball with ease while standing underneath the basket.

Here is 247Sports’ evaluation.

Terrific combination of size, strength and leaping ability. Easily separates. Speed and physicality make him elite after the catch, and ball skills are exceptional. A game-changer on special teams as well with another gear once he sees the seam or daylight to the end zone. A difference-maker in the red zone. There may be a few receivers faster but nobody nationally with the tool bag Fleming has at the position. Also a standout basketball player, a scoring machine playing above the rim who also dominates on the glass. An elite long jumper in track. An instant impact player and projected future first round draft pick.

The Buckeyes already have two receivers committed in the 2020 recruiting class, and both are 4-star prospects. Gee Scott Jr, out of Sammamish, Washington, is the No. 13 receiver and the No. 67 player overall. Rockwall, Texas prospect Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the No. 25 receiver and the No. 141 player overall.

Ohio State is also thought to lead for 5-star receiver Rakim Jarrett out of St. John’s College High School in Washington DC. Jarrett is the No. 2 receiver in the nation. The Buckeyes are also in the top 5 for 5-star California receiver Johnny Wilson. Wilson, at 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds, is one of the more intriguing prospects in the class.

Marcus Rosemy, out of St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida, is just on the cusp of 5-star status. The No. 5 receiver in the class and the No. 32 player overall, Rosemy currently has five Crystal Ball projections and they’re all pointed at Ohio State.

The Buckeyes are also in the top 10 for Fresno receiver Jalen McMillan. McMillan is the No. 9 receiver in the nation and the No. 44 player overall.

Ohio State will probably take at least two more receivers in this class, and if they’re the right ones, maybe even more than that.


Julian Fleming Highlights

Football

Basketball.

[Julian Fleming photo courtesy Julian Fleming / Twitter. | Ohio State Recruiting]

2 Responses

  1. No bad news in this article- wow!!

Comments are closed.